Monday, April 24, 2006

I just finished crying...

- Not to be Debbie Downer, but about a week ago, one of my old professors asked me if I would come and speak to her Sociology of Gender class today about the relationship between politics and the queer community. I was flattered and accepted. What I didn't know was that today, some of her students were going to be presenting their group projects on the causes and consequence of gender. After I gave my little speech about queer rights (or the lack of) and how the left tends to influence media while the right, in this current administration, tends to influence (and control) the political system, she called a group up to present their project. How appropriate that their topic was popular culture and gender. The project was great, good powerpoint, excellent research, and an honest presentation of the dilemma that many sexual minorities and women face every day. What I was not prepared for was the ending of their project. They decided to play "Dear Mr. President" by PINK. Now I had heard about this song and how great, super-fantastic blah blah blah it was, but I had never heard it or seen the video of it before. Well lets just say, that PINK's honesty, combined with the lyrics and just thinking about the message behind the song had me crying like a little baby. Momma was sobbing like a mo-fo. The crying became contagious and by the end of the video, 75% of the class was misty eyed. It just makes me realize that as easily as these students (myself included) were touched by this song, we still have a long way to go. I can only hope that people who see this video are touched as much as I was and decide to stand up against inequality, not only in queer related issue, but in all facets of life and try to let the current administration and the country that we are all people, not political buzz clips to be used to unite one day and divide the next. Just something to chew on...Damn I am such a baby.

- Here's the video:

3 Comments:

At 3:23 PM, Anonymous Percy said...

I was crying as well, crying of laughter!

 
At 10:49 PM, Blogger JP said...

Thank you. I hadn't heard this before.

 
At 11:05 PM, Blogger Carrie Broadshoulders said...

I'd heard the song, at least parts of it.

Fucking love it. Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home